Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 23:12:43 pm

Author Topic: buying an 2000 X22, need opinions  (Read 15744 times)

blindside

• Toyota should pay me
    • View Profile
    • North Texas Real Estate (Dallas/Fort Worth Area)
    • Email
buying an 2000 X22, need opinions
« on: March 02, 2004, 04:46:29 am »
Hey guys, I'm a wakeboarder in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area and looking at buying an 2000 epic X22 on next monday.  What do you think about the wake, i don't mind throwing in extra fat sacs but don't want to if i don't have to.  No one around here really knows much about these boats and I saw this site and thought i'd check it out.  There is allot of discussion about the s22's and the 22's but not the X22's.  This boat I'm gonna buy is loaded with all the options (tower, tower speakers,cockpit heater, perfect pass, the works. the thing has less than 200 hrs and always stored inside.  The reason i say next monday is cause we're going to take it out on the water Saturday for a water test drive.

Any info or links about this model would be great, thanx. Brent
Brent
https://www.facebook.com/brentlbaker
2001 S22 True Blue, acme prop, Stargazer GPS Perfect Pass

North Texas Real Estate (Dallas/Fort Worth Area)
https://ntxremax.com

phenom_1819

• Toyota should pay me
  • Once an Epic owner ...always an Epic enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re:buying an 2000 X22, need opinions
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2004, 18:13:32 pm »
Brent-  I just bought a 2001 X22 a few months back, and this weekend was my first ride behind it... but here's what I can tell you about it:

First, I am an experienced wakeboarder...and have ridden behind pretty much everything out there (other than the new X-Star, dammit!).

In short: the X22 wake is good, but small (even with the ballast full). Shape is not rampy, but not steep...right in between.  It is a buildable wake and has good pop, but you'd be adding additional fat sacks.

The longer version:
Sizewise, the wake is not very big, even with the ballast full.  But the shape is just right...and that's what's most important.  I usually run with a big crew, so will have a lot of people on board and don't think size will be a problem.  But for the days when it's just a couple of us in the boat, I'm going to throw a couple of side-sacks in addition to the ballast-- that should get the wake just about right.

As far as the wake shape (in comparison to other direct drive boats), it is pretty rampy, but firm.  A rampy wake (v-drives) is good if you want to build it up -- you can get a rampy wake bigger (if you have the space for more weight, this is a problem with a lot of v-drives). If you have too steep a wake, it will break to white-whitewater with weight.  Most direct drive boats have a steeper wake.  Most v-drives have a more rampy wake.  Rampy can accomodate more weight, but a steep wake will give more pop (this all comes down to personal preference).

Generally, the flatter the bottom of a boat, the steeper the wake will be; and the more V a boat has, the more rampy the wake will be.  Not always the case (the X-stars and Natiques, for example), but generally...

Without rambling too much, the wake is very similar to the wake behind the Moomba Mobius V. You can probably find a lot of reviews on that wake (check the discussion boards at www.wakeworld.com)...the hull shape between the two boats is also very similar (except one has engine in back, one engine in the middle). It is one of the cleanest, firmer wakes I've ridden, and the X22 wake is nearly identical.

Good luck with the purchase!!!  If that is the boat from boattrader.com, it has been online for a while, and you should be able to talk them down a bit, just FYI.

-Cal
« Last Edit: March 02, 2004, 18:23:43 pm by VillageIdiot »
Cal
Yakima, WA
Previous owner of 2001 Toyota Epic X22

toyotafreak

• Toyota should pay me
  • Classic and clean
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2004, 19:00:50 pm »
You've got a local dealership - Phil Dill boats, and I've met the warranty writer, a dude named Greg Gaudin. He's been with them since the Toyota days and is still able to get parts. I know they don't know how to install towers there, but Greg helped me get ahold of some important Toyota Marine info (a lot of that is posted at this site now.)

If you're not gonna be happy with anything less than a pro-level wake, go get another boat. Even the ex-Toyota team has said that you can't get to the size as an older X-Star, and I've heard the SAN can really handle some serious ballast despite being super peaky. If the wake is the most important thing, you'd probably be better off with either the MC or the Natique - if for no other reason, there's a larger body of opinion to reference. I'd assume we're roughly equivalent to the Malibus.

Take some sacks with you Monday and ride behind it. Pay close attention to Cyclone's recipe: fat seat (1300 lbs) and that's it. If you're a real wake monger, go find four regular fat sacks - that's how they do it at the Wakeboard Camp, right guys? This test would also let you see what the engine can handle with a stock prop.

No matter waht you decide, please write back and let us know what you thought.
Derek Boyer
derek.boyer@att.net

2000 Epic S22
Powered by Lexus, Fueled by Chevron, Lubricated by Mobil 1 ... DNA by Toyota

phenom_1819

• Toyota should pay me
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2004, 20:05:57 pm »
Derek knows the boats much better than I. But pro-size wakes are over-rated (and over-priced).   I didn't buy the boat to have a pro wake -- besides, rider ability matters a lot more than wake size. I bought the boat because it's roomy, rides well, and if it threw a good wake, that was a bonus.  (You will eventually plateau as a rider anyway, and wake size won't make much of a difference).

For the price range this boat is in, and especially for being a direct drive, it throws a great out-of-the-box wake.  What's not there can be built -- like Derek says -- with about 1500 lbs. of weight. I haven't done this yet, but with the next paycheck, I just might.  
Cal
Yakima, WA

blindside

• Toyota should pay me
    • View Profile
    • North Texas Real Estate (Dallas/Fort Worth Area)
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2004, 20:30:26 pm »
My favorite wake has to be the malibu wakesetter lsv... If it is like that than i would be happy.
Brent
https://www.facebook.com/brentlbaker
2001 S22 True Blue, acme prop, Stargazer GPS Perfect Pass

North Texas Real Estate (Dallas/Fort Worth Area)
https://ntxremax.com

toyotafreak

• Toyota should pay me
  • Classic and clean
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2004, 21:39:03 pm »
Don't let my longwindedness lead you into thinking I know what I'm talking about.

One SAN guy I've ridden with bought his specifically for the wake it throws. The other SAN owner I've ridden with loves his wake, but bought the boat simply because his last boat (a Natique) was a perfect boat for him, treated him awesome, never broke, etc.; had no choice but to follow with another.

I keep hearing that so many advanced riders choose their boat by its wake. They might also give a little weight towards layout and price, but wake is the main discriminator. In my eyes, you'd have to be pretty hard core for that.

A friend of mine has a pair of kids that he's pretty much bought around. He ended up with a Centurion, and besides important stuff like ride and layout, he wanted to make sure that the wake would be good without any fat sacs. It's a bigger boat than the SAN, with much more room, etc., and sure enough, I doubt there'll ever be sacs littering the floor - it throws a fun wake stock.

Seems to me that two types of people will gravitate towards the Epics: 1) someone who can't pass up the value in terms of how much boat you get for the price, and 2) someone who appreciates having a unique boat that's maybe the best-built towboat ever.

The value hunter has done great since Toyota pulled out, and will continue to do better as the years go by. Resale prices should drop further, and at the same time, the boats will age MUCH better than their MC, SAN, BU peers. These two factors will combine to mean that in a few years, someone like myself might be forced into getting rid of an eight year-old boat that's mechanically new and cosmetically clean for a price WAY below it's intrinsic value. I'm sure this seller will be pissed and curse the Toy, the buyer will be amazed at what he got for what he had.

Even today, you're probably getting one hell of a boat for what's being asked. I paid top dollar for mine, but to get MC or SAN to build what I got, they'd have charged $80K. On the other hand, parts are pricey and will get more so. We've got some challenges ahead of us.
Derek Boyer
derek.boyer@att.net

2000 Epic S22
Powered by Lexus, Fueled by Chevron, Lubricated by Mobil 1 ... DNA by Toyota

phenom_1819

• Toyota should pay me
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2004, 21:41:32 pm »
It's not like the Malibu.

The Malibu has a very rampy, very big wake; the yota has a steeper, more firm wake (but smaller than the Malibu's).  I'd definitely take Derek's suggestion and take some fat sacks and try it out for yourself.  To every man his own certainly fits for boat wakes.

Try it out first. You may like it, or you may not.
-Cal
« Last Edit: March 02, 2004, 21:42:28 pm by VillageIdiot »
Cal
Yakima, WA

phenom_1819

• Toyota should pay me
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2004, 21:47:28 pm »
Derek: I think we submitted our last posts at exactly the same time!  Couldn't have said it better.

One thing to add: the more we hype and show off our boats, the more demand there will be for them down the road. Not sure how to do this yet... but here are a couple ideas:

1) drive to work everyday with your boat trailing behind. This will undoubtedly increase exposure.
2) Post like crazy on wakeworld.com.
3) Use your boats as much as possible, preferably in high-visibility areas.
4) I'm still thinking...

...but together, we can make our boats collector's items.  Mastercraft did it with their Stars and Stripes edition in the 80's, we can do it with the only Japanese (well sorta) ski boats in the American Market.  C'mon, how many people do you know that run around on the water with a Lexus engine?  We friggin' rock.

-Cal
« Last Edit: March 02, 2004, 21:55:49 pm by VillageIdiot »
Cal
Yakima, WA

toyotafreak

• Toyota should pay me
  • Classic and clean
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2004, 22:15:56 pm »

The people I'm looking out for primarily are those like me (and Pete, etc.) that will run these boats until they're dead. Of course that will be in the year 2023, but at that time, we'll have a big party and tell everyone how we bought our boats for cheap, put 15,000 hours on them before pulling the engines out for use in the sand rails. We own them because they do friggin rock, they're unique, and your particular Epic looks bad ass.

I'm taking two Surpa guys out this Friday. They usually ride in the SANs I mentioned. They'll be bummed there's no Perfect Pass, but they'll sure like the seats, space and quiet.

I do care about resale just in terms of keeping the Epic experience positive for everyboday and for those people who decide they must sell either to upgrade or to cut costs.

More than almost anything, I care about keeping the knowledge base and network growing so that when we get hit with obsolescence or other problems, we can learn from eachother and maybe join forces to tackle the toughest problems.

Like how to put a bitchen TRD blower on the engine when I win the lotto....or to retrofit to the two-speed tranny or the 5.5L Tundra engine (after Lexus soups it up with VVT, etc.)
Derek Boyer
derek.boyer@att.net

2000 Epic S22