Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 21:48:54 pm

Author Topic: Does this boat look familiar?  (Read 21820 times)

phenom_1819

• Toyota should pay me
  • Once an Epic owner ...always an Epic enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • Email
Does this boat look familiar?
« on: March 02, 2004, 21:35:34 pm »
Looks like Maritech Marine is making these EOS boats now???  Anybody want to look into it? Look at the similarities -- from what I see, this is a Toyota Epic SX...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2463413483&category=31271#ebayphotohosting
Cal
Yakima, WA
Previous owner of 2001 Toyota Epic X22

toyotafreak

• Toyota should pay me
  • Classic and clean
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re:Does this boat look familiar?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2004, 22:01:33 pm »
Damn. The profile pic looks too short/fat, but in every other respect....this is a shittily-built S22/SX. The upholstery sucks, they've cheezed on some of the easiest things.

Amazing, though, it sure looks like someone's got the molds or pulled molds off my hull.

From the recessed area for the wind-blocker thing (which isn't installed on this boat) to the placement of the horn, cupholders by the glove box, etc., I can't see one place where the glass is different than my boat. The ski platform brackets, hull overhang in back, etc.

They even repeated some of the things that Toy would've improved on like the lack of snap-in carpeting. If it is the same hull and they've added an American V-8, the thing will be extremely tail-heavy and will have killer bow-rise (maybe this is why they've added the flip-up bolster seat?)

Seems as though all they did was keep the design but trade too-expensive materials with affordable ones. Funny, I still don't think the design is what makes our boats great (and extinct), it's the quality. In my eyes our design is aging, but the materials remain better than best. Maybe this crew has the right recipe (steal a design, build it with crappy materials and sell for $50K). Maybe Toy should've tried that.
Derek Boyer
derek.boyer@att.net

2000 Epic S22
Powered by Lexus, Fueled by Chevron, Lubricated by Mobil 1 ... DNA by Toyota

phenom_1819

• Toyota should pay me
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2004, 01:05:57 am »
Apparently EOS is Earth and Ocean Sports, parent company of O'Brien and Liquid Force (and who knows what else).   There are a bunch of press releases all over wakeworld about them selling these companies, then keeping them...then selling them... but nothing on the boats?  Not a mention of EOS wakeboard boats anywhere on wakeworld.  Hmmm...

Anyway, I'll keep checking and see what I can figure out. If you look at the pictures closely in the ad, there is no doubt it is based on the S22/SX hull.  It's identical. But you can see differences inside the boat, like a cheaper dash, cheap drop-in plastic glove compartment, etc.  There's no doubt it's either a carbon-copy, or being manufactured by Maritech with equipment and molds that they still had laying around.

-Cal
Cal
Yakima, WA

toyotafreak

• Toyota should pay me
  • Classic and clean
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2004, 18:00:32 pm »
Second that Cal. The molds are identical. So much for the Toyota Marine press release saying that the molds were being destroyed. Destroying molds does not necessarily mean that the design wouldn't be sold for the right price.

Hell, as long as Toy got theirs from the sale, I'm cool with it.
Derek Boyer
derek.boyer@att.net

2000 Epic S22

cyclone

• Administrator
  • Toyota should pay me
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2004, 01:24:15 am »
Here are two interesting pics..
« Last Edit: March 13, 2005, 03:50:17 am by cyclone »
Pete

'01 Epic SX

cyclone

• Administrator
  • Toyota should pay me
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2004, 01:25:16 am »
too familiar!
Pete

'01 Epic SX

phenom_1819

• Toyota should pay me
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2004, 19:15:42 pm »
Somebody from Hydroswift boats (supposedly the maker of these EOS boats) just sent me a private message about the EOS boats.  I am trying to get more info from him about the boats, where the molds came from, pricing, engines, etc.

Beneath his name, he described himself as a "Toyota lover that didn't let them die totally."

The good news about this: it could increase public knowledge of Toyota boats, with our help.  It is definitely in our best interest to remind people (on forums, etc) of where this hull came from, and of the quality difference between the Toyotas and EOS'.  It will do nothing but help with demand and resale values -- since the parts in our boats are no doubt of better quality.  

I'll post whatever info Hydroswift gives me.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2004, 19:17:29 pm by VillageIdiot »
Cal
Yakima, WA

toyotafreak

• Toyota should pay me
  • Classic and clean
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2004, 20:46:02 pm »
Wow. Probably a nice guy too, and I'm sure he doesn't appreciate us judging the boat right out of the gate. It's hard not to, though.

We're not letting them die either, are we?

To me it's like an AC Cobra kit car. Does the repro honor or detract from the original?
Derek Boyer
derek.boyer@att.net

2000 Epic S22

happ

• Up and Come-er
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2004, 15:20:12 pm »
Wow!! :o  great hull , low end torque, perfect pass. ballest, adjustable wake plate (no more bow rise), and built by HydroSwift ??? Are they not built in the same factory 99,00,01 epics hmmmmmm!    

phenom_1819

• Toyota should pay me
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2004, 18:30:31 pm »
These damn people won't even email me back.  Says a lot about these boats and their dealers, that the dealers are afraid to address the Toyota community...right?!?!  If you guys are curious, like I am, send an email to the dealer listed in the ebay ad.   Dammit, I wanna know what's up.

They just posted EOS on the webpage at http://www.hydroswiftboats.com/, but the link to EOS is still under construction.

Somebody on wakeworld noted that the dealer claims the boat uses the same ballast technology that is in the Calabria's (a pretty cool system, actually, fills in seconds rather than minutes).  The only problem: Calabria has patented their ballast systems... which leads me to wonder about this dealer (hell, he's on ebay, could potentially say a lot, I guess), and the boats...
Cal
Yakima, WA

phenom_1819

• Toyota should pay me
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2004, 18:39:31 pm »
Ah hah... the EOS VX Air edition:

From the Hydroswift website:
The new EOS VX Air Edition is designed for wake borders from every level.

A 32 degree deadrise and a Touch Control Ballast System allows you to create a perfect wake for each skill level.

This Air Edition EOS comes standard with a Custom Wake Tower, Perfect Pass Wakeboard Pro System, Faria Commander Gauges, Clarion Sound System, Hot/Cold Shower, and plenty of storage for all your toys.

The standard power plant for the EOS VX is the Pleasure Craft Magnum 330 Engine combined with a hurth transmission and Walters V-Drive for maximum performance.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2004, 18:42:20 pm by VillageIdiot »
Cal
Yakima, WA

cyclone

• Administrator
  • Toyota should pay me
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2004, 20:08:05 pm »
All I could find about HydroSwift is that they made a few runabouts a long time ago that people still fix up, and that they made some cuddy cabin runabouts a couple of years ago. Their current address is somewhere in Utah.
Pete

'01 Epic SX

phenom_1819

• Toyota should pay me
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2004, 18:42:40 pm »
I just posted a new thread about this on wakeworld because Hydroswift and their only boat dealer (from what I can see) don't want to return my emails. I've sent several in the past few weeks, the only time I got a response was when I sounded interested in the boats.  I tell them I'm a curious Toyota owner...and nothing.

Seems to me like they are trying to hide something about these boats. The ebay ads look super sketchy anyway. Not that I'm trying to play detective or anything, I'm just really curious...

Here is the thread:
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/102022.html?1079721230
« Last Edit: March 19, 2004, 18:43:21 pm by VillageIdiot »
Cal
Yakima, WA

Bitzco

• Toyota should pay me
  • How Gilligan got off the island.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2004, 04:35:03 am »
Since I'm here in Utah, I figured I'd check out the EOS boat. I called them and got virtually no information from the only dealer I could find. When I asked if the boat was made from the Toyota mold, the guy just said, "I wouldn't know anything about that." He said the same thing when I asked about the engine, V-drive and everything else. In the end, all he really told me was that Hydroswift makes the "best quality boats" in the world and that the EOS boats will be the same. What a crock. Anyway, they are located in Riverton, Utah and have no boats currently available for sale. They said I could look at the "prototype" in their showroom, but it would take six weeks to order and get one (as if I wanted one, but I thought I'd humor the guy).

Because Hydroswift was such a fountain of knowledge, I went to Marine Products in Salt Lake City. They were the Toyota dealer here and sold a lot of boats. The manager, Jeremy, told me that Hydroswift essentially reverse engineered the boat by measuring every dimension of the hull somehow. He also said it is a piece of crap. Jeremy is in the know about this stuff and talked to the Hydroswift guys at the boat show when he saw the EOS. He said he knows people who were there when Toyota destroyed the molds. The gist is, its close to the original but not exact. We shouldn't expect to be able to get parts or anything from the boneheads at Hydroswift.

Lastly, for you Epic owners out there who have a terrible time getting service and warranty work -- Jeremy and his staff at Marine Products are awesome. I originally bought a used 2001 X-22 that Jeremy told me about and last fall purchased a 2001 SX that he put me on to. These guys provide service and know the Toyota boats. In fact, Jeremy's service manager designed the fix for the ballast pump system on the X-22's that was implemented by Toyota before they died. They have taken good care of me and my boats and no problems getting warranty work done. So, I'd recommend them to any Epic owners in this neck ot the woods. Also, I was in his store today and there were 4 epics listed for sale on the used boat board. Long live Toyota.
03 Pilot, 01 Epic SX, 330 cc bombers and 4 kids in back. Working to retire to a lakeside cottage with my own boat dock.

Wakefoot

• Up and Come-er
    • MSN Messenger - wakefoot@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Richard+M.+Allen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Richard+M.+Allen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2004, 05:00:33 am »
Bitzco is right about Marine-Products.  I got my sx-22 from them 2 years ago for a killer deal.  They got my boat after it was used as a Gravity Games towboat, it is covered in autographs of ALL the greats, Parks, Darin, Shaun, Dallas, you name it.  It has a huge cool Gravity Games Decal on the bow and has provided 2 years of quiet, gas sipping, trouble free fun.  

But as far as those EOS things, its kinda like the imitation people who were just a little bit off in the movie"Invasion of the Body Snatchers"  Not the real thing but sorta looked familiar from the outside if you know what I mean.