Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 19:30:22 pm

Author Topic: Now taking donations  (Read 2806 times)

lesman01

• Toyota should pay me
    • AOL Instant Messenger - lesajc
    • View Profile
Now taking donations
« on: May 09, 2009, 05:20:56 am »
It's time to pony up. This site is updated and maintained by Epic owners and enthusiasts. We do not get any support from Toyota. If Pete and I were to get hit by a bus tomorrow, you all would be SOL. No more maintenance tips, no more forum posts. No more Epic documentation.

We have collectively maintained this site for several years without having to hit up the community for donations. We have ads on the site, but that does not even cover the cost of the web hosting. ( you guys don't click on them enough (-:)

Pete started this site several years ago and has paid the yearly maintenance fee at the web host out of his own pocket every year. Since the first year he put the site up, I've added a boat registry, a parts database, a dealer directory, and maintenance section with all known documentation about our beloved Epics. And, when things get screwy with the site, I jump in and get er fixed.

So, if you use this site and would not be able to live without it, please take a moment and make a donation to the site using the "Donate" link below.
I'll keep spending time maintaining the site and adding new stuff as we need regardless, but we do have hard costs that need to be paid.
Any amount will help...$5, $10, $25...whatever...And If I get enough to pay the yearly hosting, I'll take the button off.

Thanks for your support!

Lesman

Go HERE and then click the "donate" button at the bottom.
2000 Epic S22, Monster Tower, Monster Bimini, Acme 525 Prop, Tow Vehicle: 2003 4Runner

Capt Rick

• Toyota should pay me
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Now taking donations
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 11:58:24 am »
Please email toyotav8bt@aol.com the cost of our web page.
Capt Rick

tryme

• Toyota should pay me
    • MSN Messenger - volley_6969@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 17:31:37 pm »
Just an idea.  I work for my brother and our company is an ISP.  i am sure we could host it at our data center without any cost.  just an idea if you would like to help cut costs.

email me if interested

mradtke@tsrsolutions.com
you could check the website www.tsrsolutions.com

eagle1wi

• Toyota should pay me
  • Epic 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 17:30:58 pm »
I threw in some money into the mix - how much have you guys been paying out of pocket?  I could always contribute more if that is what we need to do.  This site has easily saved me cash as well as money saved on aspirin.
Epic 21 - Red

Rambling Wreck

• Toyota should pay me
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 04:04:08 am »
When I first viewed this page, Capt. Rick had already posted so I waited. Then tryme posted his generous offer. I figured we would get some guidance. However, I don't want to look like a slouch as this website means a lot to me. Les, where do we stand? Do you still need donations - give us the word. In my opinion, if you need themn let us know and leave the button up. If you get more than you need, bank it for the future so you don't have to ask annually.

PS: Since I know you, I realize you didn't mean the SOL comment quite like it came out. However, you do raise a valid point that a succession plan should be considered. No, I can't imagine several runaway busses at the same time but you guys could might want some relief down the road. Reach out on those issues also. With the membership we have, I have no doubt you will find someone wiling to share their skills. Since you know me and therefore realize that I can barely find the Start button on a computer, I must, of course, exclude myself from the massive volunteer list you will get. Of course, knowing nothing other than "change the spark plugs", I can't take over for Pete either so it was fairly painless for me to volunteer others....
Don't be so humble, you're not that great.

lesman01

• Toyota should pay me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 06:10:11 am »
Annual costs to host total about $150. So far i've gotten total of $60. Thanks everyone who contributed!

Wreck, Yes, if you know me, you understand that I am quite the sarcastic one, but I'm in for the long haul as long as I own an epic and probably longer. I truly enjoy helping out and feel good about contributing in my own way. Nowadays, my day job requires me to manage people and dev projects, so I don't get to dig in to actually coding anything. Wrking on this site fulfills my manly need to build things! Much like Pete and all you guys are always building things for your Epics!

That said, if there is anyone out there who knows .php, mysql, html(not just microsift frontpage junk), writing database queries, basic forum setup and maintenance, and has a few hours a month to spare, send me a note and we can start diversifying. I know there's got to be a few of you who could code circles around me anyway, so maybe you could fix all my hacks. I think the next annual payment is due in July, so I'll just pay it right out of the same paypal account you all are donating to.

I'll take tryme up on his offer as well, and if a free hosting option comes up, then I'll try that.

And, as i said earlier, once we get enough for the year, the Donate link comes down
2000 Epic S22, Monster Tower, Monster Bimini, Acme 525 Prop, Tow Vehicle: 2003 4Runner

lesman01

• Toyota should pay me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 21:51:41 pm »
OK, we're good to go. I have a total of $225 from you generous souls. That should pay the next couple years. I'll take the link off the front.

Thanks for the support! This community is the cream of the crop!!

sailtl

• Toyota should pay me
  • Past owner of 99 Epic 21
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sailtl
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 02:17:45 am »
I am glad we made it over the top. I don't know about anybody else but I RELY on this site to keep my Epic 21 running. The knowledge base is second to none and the documentation is beyond belief. Keep up the good work everybody! Over a 1,100 hours and still running strong.
Terry

tenn162000

• Toyota should pay me
  • 2000 Epic X22
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 02:32:53 am »
I put in my fair share of the donation, but being a first time boat owner with few to turn to this site has made it possible  so its a small way of saying THANK YOU!!!   Maybe, keep the link up for a few days longer make sure everyone has had a chance to donate if they feel like it.  I know I was with Rambling Wreck the first few days putting off until Capt Rick and Tryme had to say...   I just had a few minutes at work and decided to check in and realized I didnt want to be "that guy" who used the site but didn't donate.   Perhaps set a goal of 300-500 bucks?  I know i don't plan on selling my boat any time soon so I'd like this site to be around as long as possible.   
Boating is more then a passion- is a lifestyle.

cyclone

• Administrator
  • Toyota should pay me
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 01:52:01 am »
Thanks to everyone so far, it's very kind of you to help out. We just want the site to be self-sustaining, and plan for it to be around as long as the boats will be. I figure I've got 27 yrs of use before I have to rebuild the engine;)

It helps if you "reset the clock" like I did, buy a newer/fancier/lower hours Epic when the price is right. You will get a good price for your old Epic. I plan to try to stock up on parts before they dry up, and keep my boat forever.....
Pete

'01 Epic SX

Ktown

• Toyota should pay me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 04:12:13 am »
Luckily, I was still able to give to the cause (even if it wasn't needed).  Hopefully this will help pay for other unforeseen needs in the future.  You guys have been amazing and I couldn't imagine what it would be like without this great site.  Thanks again and thank you for an opportunity to give something back.

Lesman, it may be worth leaving the link on this post, so those that haven't seen it can still give if they want to.  I know I would have felt badly if I would have been unable to give something. 
"The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly"  - Nietzsche

2002 Epic SX
2007 Tundra DC, 4x4, 5.7L