Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 19:56:53 pm

Author Topic: check engine and overheat alarm will not go off !  (Read 2124 times)

placidsurfer

• Up and Come-er
    • View Profile
    • Email
check engine and overheat alarm will not go off !
« on: May 24, 2011, 23:48:39 pm »
I have a 1999 x22 and when I splashed it last week , while still idleing on the trailer , the overheat alarm went off  ,  I imediately shut it off and checked the impeller , it was toast . Here is the strange part , I brought it home and parked it , but a while later I herd the alarm going off , I had to shut off the battery switch to stop it but soon after I turn the battery back on  the alarm goes off again and the ignition is off ! I`ve put a new impeller and serpentine belt on and it should be ready to go in the water , "or is it " ?

breakawaydaze

• Toyota should pay me
  • Not without my Epic!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: check engine and overheat alarm will not go off !
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 02:32:24 am »
Not sure, but thermostat may be stuck, or possibly part of the impeller has got caught in the housing.  I think temp gauge is run off a resistor deal-e-o bobber connected to thermostat housing.  If it were me, that is where I would go 1st.  Get a new thermostat and make sure you have a new gasket for the housing....when you get in there look for rubber impeller shreds.  Get all of them out that you can.  Another reason to just go ahead and replace the impeller every season, needed or not.  The little rubber scraps can really screw up the cooling system.  I don't even know if there is a process to chase them out....

breakawaydaze

• Toyota should pay me
  • Not without my Epic!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 04:16:02 am »
If you look at figure 13 in the parts section   http://www.epicmarine.com/figures/e_Fig_13.php

You can see part # 13 is the temperature sensor, oddly it appears to be in a seperate housing behind the thermostat housing.
I would pull the sensor and housing (after I checked and pulled the thermostat) and make sure that all of these waterways are clear of any impeller crud.  32.95 for one of the sensors and 11.67 for the other.  If they have rubber chunks in them, they probably need replaced.

placidsurfer

• Up and Come-er
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 11:41:13 am »
Thanks for the input but I don`t think you understand what I`m asking . Why after a half hour of being out of the water,  sitting on a trailer , ignition off , should my check engine light come on and my overheat alarm go off when the boat hasn`t been run in a half an hour and even when the ignition is off ?

breakawaydaze

• Toyota should pay me
  • Not without my Epic!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 02:05:14 am »
What I am suggesting is that the overheat alarm may sound with the key on or off.  Good question for Capt. Rick.  If that is the case, I would 1st guess that the temp. sensors are sending the signal.  If your impeller is toast, they may have some foreign material fouling them....

wakejunky

• Toyota should pay me
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 19:17:14 pm »
if the ignition switch is off and your getting an alarm it is the low battery alarm.
OVER 800 HRS ON 2 EPICS.
99 E22- Sold 2007
01 SX - Sold 2013
2014 Axis A22-Sold 2018
?