Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 23:47:46 pm

Author Topic: Chucked MY MDCC  (Read 5753 times)

Sammamish Skier

• Toyota should pay me
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Chucked MY MDCC
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2017, 16:45:09 pm »
I chucked the MDC in my 99 E22 as well and couldnt be happier. I went with sierra gauges and swapped out the bulbs with red LEDs to match the original factory look. I also installed a GPS speedo which is perfect for skiing on the lake near our home. Likely wouldn't work well onnrivers due to drift.  Happy to post pictures here for others, I just need to dig them up.

jhardy3

• Epic God
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2017, 18:14:02 pm »
I chucked the MDC in my 99 E22 as well and couldnt be happier. I went with sierra gauges and swapped out the bulbs with red LEDs to match the original factory look. I also installed a GPS speedo which is perfect for skiing on the lake near our home. Likely wouldn't work well onnrivers due to drift.  Happy to post pictures here for others, I just need to dig them up.

For future reference, I would like to see a couple of pictures as well as an approximate cost. Thanks!
1999 Toyota Epic 22- SOLD to a guy in Greenville, TN
Perfect Pass GPS Star Gazer
Monster Tower and Board Rack
Bow Filler Cushion

Sammamish Skier

• Toyota should pay me
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2017, 22:40:58 pm »
Here are the before and after images.

For cost reference:

Sierra 69713P Eclipse Series - 6 Gauge Set ~$180
Sierra 781684035P ECLIPSE SPEEDO GPS-35MPH ~$80
12 vold RS232 nmea 183 GPS receiver I found on ebay ~$60 ( the sierra one is really expensive)
Various crimp connectors and wire to match the factory harness from Gregs Marine Wire Supply $200

Note: I rewired the main 12v runs to the dash and installed new breakers for that so a large portion of the $200 is the wire for that and not the gauges.

Capt Rick

• Toyota should pay me
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Chucked MDC not MMDC
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2017, 03:14:08 am »
THIS IS FOR 1999 Which uses a MDC NO LONGER Available. also need a alarm system for low oil pressue and high water temp.

suggest a 1/8 tee on oil sender  and a block heat sensor connected to orange wire .

Capt Rick

• Toyota should pay me
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2018, 00:19:42 am »
MGA0011513   Module,DepthSounder, MillenniumDash           352.96    15.00

if you replace MMDC you do not have either depth gauge, or water temp and oil pressure alarms...

cyclone

• Administrator
  • Toyota should pay me
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2019, 08:30:09 am »
They don't work anyway, silly.
Pete

'01 Epic SX

ryan.n

• Up and Come-er
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2019, 22:58:25 pm »
Sammamish,

I just went through your entire list from another thread and ordered everything below, Overtons had another 30% off sale and everything was under $300 with the GPS speedo and Tach that includes the hour meter. Any additional pictures, tips, or suggestions as I dive head-first into replacing all of the gauges? This will be a first for me and I don't have a ton of experience with wiring. I'll also be running power and ground to the main dash to help get rid of under-voltage.

Anything to help or look out for would be great, thanks!

Here are the before and after images.

For cost reference:

Sierra 69713P Eclipse Series - 6 Gauge Set ~$180
Sierra 781684035P ECLIPSE SPEEDO GPS-35MPH ~$80
12 vold RS232 nmea 183 GPS receiver I found on ebay ~$60 ( the sierra one is really expensive)
Various crimp connectors and wire to match the factory harness from Gregs Marine Wire Supply $200

Note: I rewired the main 12v runs to the dash and installed new breakers for that so a large portion of the $200 is the wire for that and not the gauges.

Gauges

*Sierra 69713P Eclipse Series - 6 Gauge set
*TELEFLEX 781684035P ECLIPSE SPEEDO GPS-35MPH (You may want to purchase the 80 MPH gauge, I used the 35MPH as we use the boat mainly for skiing)
*RS232 SERIAL NMEA 183 GPS RECEIVER (Found on ebay, needed for sierra GPS speedo as it does not have an internal GPS receiver and the sierra branded one is $$$$)

Wire (I purchase from Gregs Marine Wire Supply, wire should be tinned marine grade wire)
*16 GA Red 10ft (gauge power)
*16 GA Black 10ft (gauge grounds)
*16 GA dark blue 10ft (gauge illumination)
*16 GA light blue 5ft (oil pressure)
*16 GA tan 5ft (engine temp)
*16 GA grey 5ft (tach)
*16 GA pink 5ft (fuel gauge)

Connectors (I use ancor for my connectors)
*16-14 GA #8 post size Adhesive heat shrink tinned crimp ring terminals x 40 (gauge connections)
*16-14 GA Adhesive heat shrink butt connectors x 10 (harness splices)
*16-14 Step down heat shrink adhesive butt connectors blue stripe (joining grounds/illumination/power) x 14

Other
Zip ties
Electrical tape
1/2 " wire loom

Tools
Crimp tool
Lighter or hor air gun to shrink connectors

Sammamish Skier

• Toyota should pay me
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2019, 14:14:30 pm »
I'd highly recommend removing the drivers seat so it's easier to get under the dash. I built the gauge harness outside of the boat and then installed it. Removing your old gauges first will make measuring easier.

If you are running new power to the dash, I'd recommend removing the old wires from the harness. The harness connectors separate to allow removal of the pins. Expect to get covered in black tape residue if you do this. IIRC I had to clean the old harness with goofoff as I went. I added a new breaker for my dash run next to the battery switch, as the original factory fuse holder is too small. I also added bus bars on the back wall of the dash to easily connect to the new runs.

When you cut your harness at the dash to splice in the new gauge harness make sure you leave yourself enough of a tail after the connector. A bad crimp with a tail that is too short can ruin your day.

Download a marine wiring color chart. Our boats followed the marine wiring color code. That will help you get the right harness wire connected to the correct gauge.

Sammamish Skier

• Toyota should pay me
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2019, 17:50:29 pm »
One other note, this may seem obvious, but I'll add it anyways. Disconnect your battery before you start this work. You may want to completely remove it from the boat to make bilge access easier.