Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 20:55:35 pm

Author Topic: Get rid of DECC?  (Read 4093 times)

FreeLance

• Epic God
    • View Profile
Get rid of DECC?
« on: July 22, 2018, 00:40:02 am »
My DECC finally gave up and now I no longer have working switches.  Has anyone successfully removed it and hardwired in switches to each of the accessories?
2000 epic S22; 2004 4Runner

Capt Rick

• Toyota should pay me
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Get rid of DECC?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 04:06:54 am »

I'm a llama!
View Profile  Email  Personal Message (Online)

DECC accessory switches can be replaced with manual switchs
« on: July 04, 2016, 10:33:27 AM »
Here is a template showing the replacement of the $550 digital controller with a replacement panel with analog switches

What you need to do is remove this panel complete leave the key, leave the power plug make sure the power is off Send me the panel the DECC with the orange wires and the plugs group the positive in group the negative wire going from the DECC send it all to Toyota Marine Rick Cohn 10200 Newington Dr., Orlando, FL 32836

You will get back plug-and-play.  Simply plug in the white plugs you'll connect the positive and negative, Reinstall the key switch your reinstall the power plug and you're good to go .

Here is the link

MGA0011908   DECC unit programmed    10    3    $575.00    $20.00

FreeLance

• Epic God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 00:41:34 am »
Thanks Capt!  Do you have any pictures of how this looks installed?  It sure would be nice to have a plug and play option especially if it looks like factory.
2000 epic S22; 2004 4Runner

Capt Rick

• Toyota should pay me
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 01:37:22 am »
Email me at boatetrade@aol.com

Capt Rick

I am finishing a 2002 with heater

cyclone

• Administrator
  • Toyota should pay me
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 00:57:19 am »
this is a Raspberry PI with integrated touch panel display that is replacing my useless switch panels. This device will connect to a 16 chan relay board similar in size to the relay box under the dash that the PIC based switch panels connect to now. The relay board has screw terminations for all of the orange switch wiring connecting to the existing relay box.

My son is doing the program and the GUI, which will have similar appearance and button layout to the original six and four button panels to the left of the steering wheel. In addition to the switch functions, it will also be a media center, play video, have 4g LTE connectivity, USB, it can have a GPS module and there's free nav software to run on it (not sure about lakes;) as well as an OBD2 module to display engine information. All of that is coming later, I will get the switch functions up and running first. i powered it off the 12vdc power plug connections for testing, shown is the stock Raspian desktop software.  It has built in connections and drivers for a camera as well.

It will be waaaaaaay cheaper than replacing the stock button panels, I think I have 150$ in it so far and that is all the hardware needed. For Epic users just needing buttons, software will be very inexpensive.
Pete

'01 Epic SX

brad

• Toyota should pay me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 14:59:21 pm »
Pete:

Sign me up.  Can't wait to have reliable switches.  Let me know when they will be available.

Brad
Brad

2002 Epic SX

formerathlete

• Up and Come-er
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 22:22:27 pm »
Yes! I want one too. Installation instructions included too? That's so awesome.

cyclone

• Administrator
  • Toyota should pay me
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 08:24:40 am »
plan is to supply the panel and a relay board with programming for stock buttons using as close to the stock wiring numbering, huge variability as far as individual boat wiring, worst case you could turn on buttons one at a time on the panel and measure 12vdc on each ring connector on output side of stock relay box, its up under dash. all wires are orange, super helpful. So, you would just have to identify the wire for each outbound circuit, (bilge pump, nav lights, shower , big ass stereo amp enable, booty shaker, dacquiri machine, fake tan machine, blah blah, label them, cut and strip the wire and terminate into the appropriate terminal connections on the supplied relay board, no big whup. PLUS you will have a full function touch screen PC, possibilities are endless.
Pete

'01 Epic SX

Capt Rick

• Toyota should pay me
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2018, 21:09:18 pm »
Pete,

When you replace the DECC keep in mind the relays are in the DECC , can handle 15-20 amp circuits. The separate circuit breakers protect the loads. the early DECC have unnumbered white wire. All the orange wires are numbered. 1-16
1  Nav
2  ANCHOR
3  NILGE
4  CTSY LIGHT
5  BLOWER
6  STRNG LT
7  HORN
8  TRAN LT
9  SHOWER
10  BALLAST  FILL  OR   HATCH UP
11  DOCK LIGHT
12  HEATER LOW
13  HEATER MED
14  HEATER HIGH
15  BALLAST DRAIN OR HATCH DOWN

Capt. Rick

cyclone

• Administrator
  • Toyota should pay me
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 19:17:19 pm »
Nice, that will save me some time! I will try to make it standardized. The relay board I chose has 30 amp relays.

Thanks Rick!
Pete

'01 Epic SX

cyclone

• Administrator
  • Toyota should pay me
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2018, 21:16:48 pm »
UPDATE: my talented son just got the code up and running, he will copy and paste those 16 outputs and they'll be able to be renamed. But, they will be in the stock order for Toyota as listed here.
Pete

'01 Epic SX

Sammamish Skier

• Toyota should pay me
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2018, 23:46:49 pm »
In your picture of the setup what is that that us in place of your ignition. Not sure I've ever seen that setup.  For the rasberry pi setup is it resonably water resistant? I might be interested in converting my 1999 no DECC boat to this as it looks slick.

cyclone

• Administrator
  • Toyota should pay me
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2018, 20:25:00 pm »
That is a mercruiser keypad ignition add on. You remove the keyswitch and stick the keypad in place, and mount a small module under the dash. Here's some info, link no longer works. My first Epic had a dealer installed one, when I bought the SX in 2007 I found a new old stock one and put it on, they had been discontinued. It does some cool stuff like automatically run the blower, etc.

http://www.epicmarine.com/forum/index.php?topic=1903.msg15681#msg15681

The touch panel raspberry pi is more waterproof than the stock buttons. It flush mounts to the dash and is sealed. It's also inexpensive, about 1/4 the cost of one of those button panels.
Pete

'01 Epic SX

jwilcox

• Up and Come-er
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2019, 21:39:29 pm »
My button panel on my 99 S22 just starts blinking whenever I try to push anything on it making it useless since I cant turn anything off or on.

I am interested in the touch panel and am willing to pay to make sure its all plug and play and ready to roll? How are they in terms of longevity?

Or also if there is a recommended fix I can do to make the factory switches work properly? What are people doing to fix this?
My gauges don't really work that great either.

Any suggestion are welcome. Thanks!

cyclone

• Administrator
  • Toyota should pay me
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2019, 20:30:04 pm »
Yes, the majority of wakeboard boats made during the early 2000's used some technology that is failing and obsolete. So, there is a market out there for conversion kits. THere's a plug and play gauge package out now, someone posted a link recently here to a vendor.

Our boats had these button panels which fail in weird ways, under any load they blink and don't work properly. So, I am in the process of putting together the replacement touch screen panel with built in computer, and a relay switchbox to replace the existing ones.

The code is done, the switch panel buttons work and are programmed, ready to wire up and test, but I can't get to my boat right now as the lake I live on is flooded, have to go waist deep to get to the dock. I should be able to continue working on it in a couple of weeks when they drop the lake level. IF it stops raining;)
Pete

'01 Epic SX