Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 22:42:16 pm

Author Topic: Replace your failed DECC electronics with a touchpanel WIFI system. For less  (Read 2322 times)

cyclone

• Administrator
  • Toyota should pay me
    • View Profile
    • Email
HI all. If you don't know me, my name is Pete and I secured this domain and started this forum several decades ago. I am a tinkerer, and started by contributing some documentation and presentations of maintenance procedures for our boats as Toyota discontinued manufacture and support of the boats.

With help from Toyota and lots of active forum members, we've been able to keep our fine boats running for many years. I am on my second Epic and might buy one or three more, who knows?

If you read the forum you will see that a large portion of the posts are about problems with the electronic dash switching system. If you have a boat with manual, discrete switches, you don't have the issues, but could still upgrade to a more modern solution.

I offer a 7" touch screen panel embedded in an anodized, engraved aluminum panel, to replace your stock switching system.

The system offers 16 channels, as original, with 10 amp relays replacing the original 7 amp relays. Button function is customizable but follows the convention of the original system. This makes it easy, you simply connect the power and ground wires and the numbered pigtail connector to the same 16 connections on top of the new box.

The system boots and defaults to a touch panel with the same layout but with the Epic font, much more visible than the original tiny pushbuttons and LED displays.

The panel is a full function PC with wireless internet access for streaming and access via cel. There's approximately 45 GB available for local media storage. Bluetooth, wireless, phone or tablet control, all standard on the Epic Panel.

There are a couple of options when it comes to face panels to mount to your dash, and provide a place to mount your ignition switch. The cost of these anodized, engraved panels is a pass-through, but the more costly option recesses the touch panel in a 4mm thick aluminum plate so that it is flush. Standard is a 3mm, engraved, anodized plate with no recess, still looks and performs great. Same, 1 year unconditional warrantee.

Please send me a message via the site and I can give you a quote for your specific needs, of course, customization is available.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 18:24:32 pm by cyclone »
Pete

'01 Epic SX

cyclone

• Administrator
  • Toyota should pay me
    • View Profile
    • Email
Here's the manual, it is a work in progress
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 18:25:48 pm by cyclone »
Pete

'01 Epic SX

cyclone

• Administrator
  • Toyota should pay me
    • View Profile
    • Email
I'm building three systems now, so hit me up, quick delivery and service after sale, no worries.
Pete

'01 Epic SX

cyclone

• Administrator
  • Toyota should pay me
    • View Profile
    • Email
Here's the latest panel display for a 2002 Epic. This panel has momentary controls for Horn, Hatch Up and Down, and three way heater controls that change button colors. This is plug and play to original harness on DECC box and factory power connections. Relay module replaces DECC box.

The button labels and function are fully customizable, as is the desktop. All units include wireless and bluetooth, and cel phone or tablet control using VNC software (free)

Options include powered USB data and charging hub, HIFI sound card, camera, working on OBD2 engine display, HDMI video extender, etc etc. What would you like?
Pete

'01 Epic SX

cyclone

• Administrator
  • Toyota should pay me
    • View Profile
    • Email
here's more pics of a full system with hifi interface and powered USB charging and data hub. This system includes the upgraded 4mm thick anodized aluminum panel with recessed screen.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 07:16:29 am by cyclone »
Pete

'01 Epic SX

cyclone

• Administrator
  • Toyota should pay me
    • View Profile
    • Email
Price for basic unit, factory Epic replacement plug and play touchpanel PC relay control system with WIFI, bluetooth, phone panel app, embedded sound card,  3mm anodized, engraved and backfilled aluminum face panel. Wireless/rechargeable backlit mini keyboard/mouse included. 1 year unconditional warranty and support. Price upon request.

Shown with HIFI DA audio interface+connector, remote USB data/charge interface,w/terminated inline power supply, plugs into factory wiring.  Upgraded 4mm anodized, engraved and backfilled aluminum dash panel. 1.5mm recess to flush mount touch panel. $100 of this added cost is the recess machining for the panel. It is a pass through, I don't make the panels or a profit from them.

An install kit is included with OEM style wire ties to reattach your wiring harnesses and includes  diode suppressors for inductive loads as required for application. Mounting hardware and labels, easy.

if you buy a new Toyota button panel, or want to preserve your originals, you need diode suppressors if you are switching a large relay or an electric motor. if you don't have a "flyback diode" the voltage spike from the collapsing magnetic field causes a spike on the communication link, freak out and blinky blink and non function of control system. Toyota eventually figured this out and made diode suppressors available but most boats don't have them. They won't help once the panels are failed or you have low dash voltage.  If you need them, $5 ea. + $5 shipping for all. They are included with all PCS panel systems to prevent contact "bounce" when switching

The panel system is made of commonly available components, on latest hardware and software. A spare, fully imaged extreme duty backup SD card is provided with all systems, it can be swapped in seconds. The system has been under test for 18 months in high heat and humidity applications, lives outside. Performance is bulletproof, hence the unconditional warranty.

This system is FAR more reliable than the original panel system using PIC 16Fxxxxx microprocessors which cant handle low voltage (less than +/- 15V rails. They fail because of spikes and low voltage.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 18:11:51 pm by cyclone »
Pete

'01 Epic SX

blindside

• Toyota should pay me
    • View Profile
    • North Texas Real Estate (Dallas/Fort Worth Area)
    • Email
Love mine. Thanks for making this Pete!
Brent
https://www.facebook.com/brentlbaker
2001 S22 True Blue, acme prop, Stargazer GPS Perfect Pass

North Texas Real Estate (Dallas/Fort Worth Area)
https://ntxremax.com

cyclone

• Administrator
  • Toyota should pay me
    • View Profile
    • Email
Thanks Brent! The new software version is coming, I can send you an updated SD card, you just swap it. Button function is identical, changes are cosmetic there. New Operating system has much improved Bluetooth connection utility for streaming from phone and other enhancements. I will provide this info in release notes for new SW.

Changes to button app:
Button panel background is more "black", it was carbon fiber but that was too bright at night.

Button icons are slightly larger, easier to see in daytime sun

"momentary" function for horn has been added

In future releases, will be incorporating enhanced function for bilge pump, On boot it runs for 60 sec then turns off. If you press once it will turn on, button turns  red. Press again, it will change to orange , run for 60 sec and run once every 30 min for 30 sec. Press again, turns off. Actual cycle time tbd.

Also will add enhanced function for blower, runs for 60 sec when panel boots, press to turn off.

One nice feature is that if you shut down the panel, whatever relay outputs that were set stay set until the battery switch is cycled and panel and relay box reboots. So, you can leave the boat with minimal power (dash not powered) and the
outputs stay active. If your bilge pump had a float switch, you could leave it in water and have an active bilge pump with minimal power.

I'm going to configure my panel to run my ballast controls, I don't have the need for hatch or heater controls from my panel. It will provide the ability to have independent zones, and if you have leaky SX tanks, we could make it so the fill pumps cycle periodically to keep you full as required on each side. Cycling bilge pump takes care of leaking tank. Cheaper than trying to repair tanks!

Any other changes to buttons (function, wording or position on screen, etc) can be done as desired.

Pete
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 16:00:44 pm by cyclone »
Pete

'01 Epic SX

cyclone

• Administrator
  • Toyota should pay me
    • View Profile
    • Email
Here's an updated manual for the media center showing the 2002 SX version with heater and hatch controls. Desktop has been streamlined for easier use in daylight and panel app is now darker at night.
Pete

'01 Epic SX

brad

• Toyota should pay me
    • View Profile
My new panel has been shipped.  Can't wait to install and start using it (will have to endure the winter months first however).

Pete - you're the best!  Thanks for all your hard work and offering this "solution" to the rest of us!!!
Brad

2002 Epic SX

cyclone

• Administrator
  • Toyota should pay me
    • View Profile
    • Email
No problem Brad, it should be plug and play with the exception of slight modification of the plastic dash panel (opening up the area behind the facepanel. You can do this with a pair of shears or small handheld saw, it's just plastic about 1/16"thick.

I provided two sets of fasteners, machine screws with nuts and washers, and simple screws. I think the screws would be easiest, just drill 4 x 1/16" holes, use the panel as a template to mark the holes.
Pete

'01 Epic SX

cyclone

• Administrator
  • Toyota should pay me
    • View Profile
    • Email
Working on the new functionality for bilge and blower, should be done soon. The plan is to have the blower activate for one minute on panel power up, you can simply hit the button to turn it off. Bilge pump will have a second selection, it will run on a cycle (30 sec/ once per hour, example) that you can change by modifying a text file.

this might be helpful for those SX's with leaking ballast tanks, less costly than fixing tanks.
Pete

'01 Epic SX

cyclone

• Administrator
  • Toyota should pay me
    • View Profile
    • Email
the latest release of software is available, new functionality added for blower (turns on for one min on panel startup) and bilge as an "on" selection and a cycling selection, where you can have it run once an hour or 30 sec. THis is configurable by a simple text file that you can edit to change the bilge cycle time.

I'm testing webcams but any usb webcam will work with the panel, you can record video right onto the 64 gb card or usb stick.
Pete

'01 Epic SX

brad

• Toyota should pay me
    • View Profile
Installed today.  Can’t wait for the season to start.

Pete, this is so awesome.  You’re the best!!
Brad

2002 Epic SX

cyclone

• Administrator
  • Toyota should pay me
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hi Brad!
Thanks, I'm glad it went well! Let me know if you have any questions.
Pete

'01 Epic SX