Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 22:17:10 pm

Author Topic: V-drive ballast (starting from scratch)  (Read 20007 times)

toyotafreak

• Toyota should pay me
  • Classic and clean
    • View Profile
    • Email
V-drive ballast (starting from scratch)
« on: July 29, 2003, 03:07:59 am »
When I get my tower back on.....

You all have provided lots of good info as far as setting up the Epics for wakeboarding.

Looking for feedback to the following (I've got the v-drive and no ballast whatsoever):

One 20" x 50" Fat Sac (575 lbs. full) in the trunk (aft of the engine).

One 9" x 14" x 62" Tube Sac (375 lbs. full) as far forward into the bow area floor as possible.

1) although not awesome, the wake will see a big improvement, right?

2) should still handle OK?

3) are the cigarrette lighter pumps OK or should I at least hard-wire one to the aft sac?

Thanks for the help!

« Last Edit: September 17, 2003, 22:41:44 pm by gr8dna »
Derek Boyer
derek.boyer@att.net

2000 Epic S22
Powered by Lexus, Fueled by Chevron, Lubricated by Mobil 1 ... DNA by Toyota

davidgree1

• Epic God
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re:Ballast (starting from scratch)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2003, 03:47:25 am »
I have a sx which has the internal hard sacs.  I took the overflow from these and ran them to side sacs under the front two seats=225# each.  I have overflow from the port side sac to a vdrive sac in the locker under the port windshield=350#  The wake is pretty big and the boat handles fine but the mileage goes way down.
\

toyotafreak

• Toyota should pay me
  • Classic and clean
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2003, 04:42:55 am »
Tell me a little about the internal hard sacks if you've got some time...
Derek Boyer
derek.boyer@att.net

2000 Epic S22

atlantabuff

• Epic God
  • Rock Hard Wakes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2003, 13:12:52 pm »
Just to give you an idea about how much the boat can handle.  The guys at the wakeboard camp when they had the X22 used to "4 bag it"  They put 4-500lb fat sacs in and then 4-6 people got in.  Since we don't have an SX I can't speak to it, but you can look at my earlier posts and see what we do.  We use the lighters to fill our fat sacs all the time.

toyotafreak

• Toyota should pay me
  • Classic and clean
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2003, 16:08:44 pm »
Thanks!
Derek Boyer
derek.boyer@att.net

2000 Epic S22

davidgree1

• Epic God
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2003, 18:45:53 pm »
I have a 2001 SX.  It has internal hard sacs.  They are next to the gas tank which on my boat is in the center.  They fill with a 1100 gph pump mounted next to the bildge pup in the center and below water line so it self primes.  It overflows out the sides of the boat.  The tanks are 40 gal=350# each.  I took the overflow tube and sent it to the front side sacs under the two bow cushions then sent the overfill on the port side to an additional sac under the storage compartment under the windshield.  That then exhausts where the original did.  i.e. I didn't cut any holes or add any pumps.  It is a little slow but otherwise works well.

cyclone

• Administrator
  • Toyota should pay me
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2003, 02:56:31 am »
I would recommend Rule 1100 pumps highly, best I've found. Toyota is using them as replacements for all of their systems. There are three thru hull fittings on some Epics, one for the engine inlet, one to drain the oil near the front of the engine (d drive) and one up in front of the battery box for the ballast system I used the one in front of the engine for my water supply, it had a plug in there. See the pics or reference my numerous posts on this site and on Wakeworld in the archives for boat and boat accessories. I was pretty vocal until I posted this site.
Pete

'01 Epic SX

toyotafreak

• Toyota should pay me
  • Classic and clean
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2003, 22:41:09 pm »
OK, still confused on this issue (no great surprise, huh?)

I understand that ballast in the front of the boat will help it plane easier and handle better. I guess what I'm unsure of is how fore/aft balance affects wake size and shape. Also, I wonder about diminishing returns; Wakeboard Camp uses 2K lbs, but Cyclone's got a nice wake with just the Fat Seat (1200 lbs).

As it's evolved, I'm looking more towards the following:

In trunk: Fluid Concepts 1000 lb (19"x80") - Will fill the lower portion of the trunk nicely from wall to wall and still leave room for ropes, jackets and maybe a board.

Under bow seats: two Lets Go Ride Stiffy 250 lb (13"x52") or Fly High Side Sacks 250 lb (12"x48") - would love to be able to squeez these higher up in the gunwhale so I can keep the anchor, lines and bumpers under the seats, but doubt it's gonna be possible.

Could also add removable hookups for a Tube Sack (350 lb) or lounge (540 lb) in walkway for the days where it's just the guys.

Junk in trunk and side sacks in front will give 1500 lbs, sort of evenly distributed. Don't forget the S22's got the mondo 47 gallon (300 lb) tank mounted midships (starts full every day).

Biggest concerns are:
1) too much weight at the far aft end of the boat for wake shape?
2) too much weight in bow for wake shape?
3) enough weight in bow for boat control?

Would the extra 350 lb tube sack or 540 lb lounge up front/midships help or hurt the wake situation? (1800 or 2000, respectively).

Remember, this is the v-drive...
Derek Boyer
derek.boyer@att.net

2000 Epic S22

toyotafreak

• Toyota should pay me
  • Classic and clean
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re:V-drive ballast (starting from scratch)
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2003, 01:13:19 am »
OK... After further review of the wife's current aversion to boat spending...

The 1000 lb sac in the trunk, the 350 lb tube sac in the walkway and a pair of cigarette lighter pumps.

As long as I get bags with all the holes required for a semi-auto system, the only wasted cash will be on the pumps.

And maybe by the time I'm ready to do it right, someone will be offering good reversible pumps that'll move 1000 GPH and sell for $100 a piece (one for the forward bags and one for the aft one.)

Yes Pete, the Rule 1100's look good. It'd be a toss up whether to do four of them to keep fore/aft control or two Rule 2000's for simplicity.

Maybe after she sees all the sick tricks we bust with them rock hard wakes she'll agree we need the ballast. THEN, maybe after she spends a year filling the bags by hand, she might be up for investing in real pumps.

Blessings from you guys?
Derek Boyer
derek.boyer@att.net

2000 Epic S22

toyotafreak

• Toyota should pay me
  • Classic and clean
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re:V-drive ballast (starting from scratch)
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2003, 20:39:46 pm »
Yesterday some guys went out with us and brought their own sacks.

We had a full 600 lb in the trunk, a 250 lb v-drive sack on the floor up against the back seat/tranny cover, and another v-drive sack in the walkway. Six adults and my boy. This was my first experience with a ballasted boat.

Amazing how long it takes to get up on plane, and how easy it is to lose plane during a turn. Haven't filled the tank, so I've not seen the gas mileage grief yet.
As for riding, it was also the first time on a non-stretch rope and first time at ~70 feet (usually run 15-off). The water was truly horrible (more boats than you lucky rural guys have ever seen ;-) Except for the 50-ollie-per-minute chop, I loved it.

The distance you've got to fly seemed way farther, but I was able to get over clean a few times, and even busted the 180 almost across. When you want height, it's only a pop away. After seeing what the wake CAN be, not sure if I can deal with the unweighted version...

Pete: the guys filled the sacks with your Rule 1100. I was amazed how much that sucker pumped, and they've been happy with the Rule for a long time.
Derek Boyer
derek.boyer@att.net

2000 Epic S22